Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Biography written by Ranzie in 2006

Where the speech of man stops short, then the art of music begins.”

Richard Wagner

RANZIE MENSAH & MUSIC FOR THE WORLD

www.ranziemusic.com

I was twelve years old when I discovered my singing voice. I am now forty-five years old and I have never stopped singing since then.

It was a calling. Something I could not possibly ignore. It was breathing to me. I had no choice……. and I am grateful !

I am infinitely grateful to the destiny I chose and here I am, happy, content and with a feeling that there is still more to be done.

My work spans from Africa, where I launched my singing career.

Ghana, my native country, is where I began with my sister, Ekua. We were known on television as the Mensah Sisters. She was the soprano voice and I was the mezzo. We accompanied ourselves on the guitar and sang folk songs that were popular at the time – 1970’s Simon and Garfunkel, Joan Baez and Bob Dylan.

I miss those days. We were in seventh heaven. I was grateful.

Then I got married and moved to Ivory Coast where my solo career took a real turn. I performed, recorded in Paris, took African dance lessons, was constantly on television and toured West Africa. I was able to make a good living with my artistic activities, and I was grateful.

Then with my Italian husband we decided to move to Italy. We arrived with two young children and only our suitcases. We had practically nothing. My husband had spent twenty years of his life pioneering in West Africa. I had left behind my career and he had left behind wonderful and stirring memories. Africa had been home but we had to find a new home in another part of this earth which is one country. We struggled but looking back to the twelve years that I have been living in Italy, I am grateful…… again !

This part of my life can tell the story of performances in Italy and throughout Europe in some of the most prestigious theatres. The three most recent were in Monza (Milano), Sutri (Rome) and Donnas (Aosta).

The concert in Monza was to commemorate the 8th of March, Women’s Day. The stage designing was done by a mother and daughter duo. It featured an African theme : two large curtains with the features of African women and bright colours and geometric shapes fell from the ceiling and adorned the stage. In a corner of the stage there was a tent depicting the Saharan desert. It was a masterpiece of a work of art !

The concert in Sutri (Rome) was held in an amazing Etruscan amfitheatre. Powerful lights were launched at a great height to illuminate the brown stone from which this ancient people carved and sculpted. The acoustics too were magnificent !

It was piano and voice. The repertoire was spirituals, gospels and songs from Africa.

This year was proclaimed International Year of Water. On this occasion I experimented performing with a group of musicians who played folk instruments : the celtic harp, French bagpipe and various flutes and percussion, the bandelion and an instrument called the hurdy-gurdy. I sang songs that all had the theme of water. Songs such as : “Wet”, “After the Rain”, “Niagara”, “Wade in the Water”, “Take me to the Water”.

In June, I started a weekly Radio programme called “Intercultura”. It is broadcast every Fridays with a repeat on Sunday mornings. The aim of the programme is to promote unity in diversity by presenting different cultures mainly through their music, their proverbs, their poetry and their fables. I dedicated entire programmes to Gospel music, Zanzibar, Brasil, Chile, South Africa etc.

During the school year I get busy working with children from kindergarten to High School presenting Africa through music and dance.

In December, I will begin a course on African Dance with my daughter Lua, who will be coming from Toronto to teach the classes. Lua graduated from the Randolph School of Performing Arts as an actress, dancer and singer and is presently doing film and theatre in Canada.

At the end of October, PHOENIX will be launched. PHOENIX will be a Newsletter to promote the Arts and will be sent to subscribers all over the world. Artists and lovers of the Arts are warmly invited to contribute articles, share reports, activities and thoughts. Anyone who might be interested in receiving PHOENIX by e-mail may send their e-mail address to: ranzie.mensah@virgilio.it

I just finished recording a CD of World Music with a well-known producer, destined for the international market. It will be entitled “Never Give In”.

My father said that the first attribute of art is beauty and it is on this quality that all evaluation of the arts must begin.

Dad, I am truly grateful to you and all that you gave me through your example.

Ranzie Mensah

source: http://www.ebwn.net/archivio/issue_6/Ranzie.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.